Port-hpcmips archive

Re: Successful 4.0 install on z50; issue playing mp3s

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 1:32 PM, Thomas Miller <tilakkhana%gmail.com@localhost>
wrote:
[...]
> a major issue i am experiencing is that when i tried to play an mp3
> the music was recognizable, but there are lots of hesitations and wow
> and flutter. for what it is worth, the problems seem significantly
> worse using mpg321 compared to either madplay or sox (play), both of
> which seem to work about equally poorly on my z50 here. the fractional
> load figures displayed by top while playing the mp3 suggest that the
> problems are not being caused by overloading. i found in the archives
> for this list both reports of success and reports of failure playing
> music on the z50 with different versions of netbsd-hpcmips.

Hello,
It sounds like issues with audio latency.  If you check the CVS
history for 2008-07-31 05:58:06 @ http://pkgsrc.se/audio/jack-devel,
the author mentions some "changes to audio_poll() and the pause
attribute handling", in the netbsd sources to fix audio latency
issues.  You could try building your own kernel from the latest
sources if the kernel you are using is older than July 31st.  If you
were going to do that though, I'd recommend setting up a cross-build
environment on some more powerful computer.

Regards,
Elijah
--
http://elijahr.blogspot.com/