Port-hpcmips archive

Re: PenCentra 200

Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have one of these, with 64Meg of RAM.
>
> I see from the list that it can run BSD Unix.  I'm a long time Linux user.
>
> Can this machine run X?  Or display graphics some other way?
It runs X11, but only with 256 colors... I have actually gotten tcl/tk
running as well, so it is possible to create some applications. You have to
remember, that the CPU is not that fast == 129 MHz

> Do I need a PCMCIA memory card in order to install BSD Unix?  How large?
I think Mirco already answered as well.

> Is the installation permanent?  That is, does it overwrite the Windows
> for Handheld PC 2000 that is in the ROM?
The windows remains in flash, but once NetBSD runs and you have a kernel
with kexec-option compiled, it is possible to reboot without using windows

> I have the docking station as well, if that's useful.
>
> Thanks,
> Bret
I hope you will receive the kernel from Mirco, if not send me a mail or
reply here in NG. The reason why the distro did not work is now fixed in
the development kernel and it is possible to compile a kernel
from -current.

regards

Risto