Subject: Re: is anyone still working on this port?
To: None <port-hpcarm@NetBSD.org>
From: Stephane Engel <steph@Macchiati.org>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 09/08/2004 15:42:00
Quoting Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>:

> On Sep 8, 2004, at 6:43 AM, Sheree Hemphill wrote:
> >  I do have 2 basic questions so far:
> > 1. To install netbsd on the jornada, is it necessary to have a machine
> > that is already running netbsd?  I only currently have 2 windows xp
> > machines.  I did also create a Knoppix 3.6 cd, however, and was
> > wondering if that would be sufficient.
> > 2. I'm starting out by trying to follow the instructions here:
> > http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/hpcarm/howto-use.html
> > This page indicates that there are 3 files needed:
> > ---
> > You need at least 3 files to start NetBSD/hpcarm.
> >  hpcboot.exe
> > bootloader which runs in the WindowsCE environment. It currently
> > supports WinCE2.11 and PocketPC(WinCE 3.xx) machines. It is available
> > at sys/arch/hpc/stand/binary/ARM/. (From the NetBSD-current sources;
> > see Tracking NetBSD-current.)
> > netbsd (kernel)
> > For testing(JORNADA720):
> > ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/hpcarm/snapshot/kernel/netbsd-
> > JORNADA720-20010623.gz
> > miniroot.fs (filesystem image, generated with vnconfig)
> > Coming soon.
> > ---
> > The link for the netbsd-JORNADA720-20010623.gz file is good.
> > However, do you know where I can find the miniroot.fs?  I don't
> > understand what this is exactly or what it is used for.
> > Also, I do already have an hpcboot.exe file -- I think I can use what
> > I have, but I'm not sure (I'll try it and see).
>
> I don't know where to get miniroot.fs but you may not need it. The
> kernel probably has a miniroot built into it already so when you boot
> the kernel off your flash card with hpcboot.exe,  you will get a
> memory-disk filesystem already.  Just hit return when the kernel
> prompts you for 'root device' and 'swap device'... Once you're in the
> shell, you can use fdisk, disklabel, newfs, and so on to build your
> flash filesystem You'll probably also be able to ifconfig and ftp the
> rest of the distribution and untar it...  You'll need to slide a NIC
> into the pccard slot if you want to download the rest of the
> distribution.
>
> Having another unix machine handy is helpful so you can untar the
> distribution and pick/choose the pieces you want.  I have a 256MB card
> in my Jornada and that is lots of room for a base OS and X...   If you
> just have XP machines, then you can probably grab cygwin, and use that
> to download, untar the distribution, and pick/choose your bits...
>
> Like I say, I haven't gone through the installation in a long time and
> I did my installation on another NetBSD machine anyway.
>
> > Let me know if you have any thoughts on this.  Or if you have any
> > tips/instructions on how to proceed.  I'm a linux newbie, so I want to
> > minimize the problems I may run into!
> >

> You should probably not listen to anything I say.  I'm only guessing
> how it's put together.   There are probably smarter people around who
> [...]

I don't think that my old post
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-hpcarm/2002/09/05/0001.html
is too out of date ...

Have a look to the ML, you'll fnd there some other interesting Install Tips as
 - http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-hpcarm/2003/06/06/0000.html

If I remember well, someone did wrote a procedure to install it with a modified
sysinst version ...

--
Stephane Engel <steph[at]macchiati.org>
http://www.macchiati.org/

"Quando camminerete sulla terra dopo avere volato, guarderete il cielo
perche' la siete stati e la' vorrete tornare"
  Leonardo da Vinci