Port-hp300 archive

HP 9000-382 based instrument panics on cnopen()

I’m trying to netboot NetBSD 9.2 (the latest code) on an HP 37900D, which is based on the HP 9000-382 platform and has a built-in EL display. It looks like the 382 board’s built-in graphics are disabled (it has medium-res graphics, the COLOR jumper is enabled but the GRAPHICS jumper is disabled, so I assume the EL display controller is a DIO device attached to the other side of the internal backplane).

NetBSD loads the kernel and starts to boot, but it panics in cnopen() saying it can’t find the console device. Which is a bit strange, since I’m seeing that message on what should be the console…

The text on the EL display is also inverted and garbled, similarly to the text coming out of my 9000-332 when I tried to boot NetBSD on it.

Here’s the boot screen:

I took a short video of the panic scroll: https://imgur.com/ik8GabY

It doesn’t get to the point of mounting / read-write so I don’t have a saved dmesg and I’m not typing all of that in at the moment.

Questions:

1. Is there a kernel boot switch or (build-time config option) that I can use to point console to the serial port to see if I can get further?

2. Is there a way to have the hp300 port use the simple text interface that most graphics cards provide for its console, if I can’t (or I don’t want to) use a “graphical” console?

  — Chris