Port-evbmips archive

Lemote YeeLoong (LOONGSON) freezes during nightly maintenance operations

Rather than intermingle with this thread any longer:

  http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-evbmips/2016/10/19/msg000299.html

to reiterate what I posted there, my Lemote YeeLoong (running a custom
LOONGSON-derived kernel) freezes when left running (otherwise idle)
overnight.

Lately, I set up a simple shell task that just output a datestamp every
5 minutes to see just when it happened.

As I long suspected, the last datestamp was from 03:24:32 local time.
This indicates that it froze while running the nightly maintenance script.
Typically, this is the big 'find' job that scans all the filesystems.

In the past, it would provoke a panic and leave the system sitting at
the debugger.  Now it just freezes, completely unresponsive except for
the power button.

The machine was running semi-diskless:  NFS root with swap, /tmp, and
an auxiliary filesystem on local disk, the latter two being ext2fs.

Following cleanup, I'll let it sit diskless again with the ext2fs
filesystems unmounted.

(As a side note, I was able to successfully update the SD card on
which I have root and /var when booting from disk.  It remains to
be seen if this can be repeated--this process frequently freezes
the machine as well.)