Port-evbmips archive

Re: RouterBoard 133 support

Arnaud Lacombe wrote:

> David Young wrote:
>
> >> ps: is there a way to enforce arch endianness and fails if a wrong
> >> one is used? evbmips has no default MACHINE_ARCH, but the
> >> bootloader will fails with big endian kernel (the SoC endiannes is
> >> wired in hardware anyway).
> >
> > I'm not sure what you're asking.  I build with build.sh -m
> > evbmips-el.
> >
> I was more thinking of something like:
> <config file>
> options LITTLE_ENDIAN_BOARD
>
> and somewhere in the code
>
> #if BYTE_ORDER == BIG_ENDIAN && defined(LITTLE_ENDIAN_BOARD)
> #error Board is little endian and the toolchain is big endian
> #endif
>
> so you don't finish the compilation, try to boot the kernel, to finally
> die on wrong format error.

Currently there's an board endian list in etc/etc.evbmips/Makefile.inc,
but that's not really what you're asking...

I _think_ I'd like to see some config(1)-time way of doing what you want
rather than a compile-time way.  I'm not sure if there's any existing
way with config(1) of doing this.  I'm also not sure which way we'd
want to default - would we want to default to allowing both endians, or
always need to explicitly specify which endian is allowed (including
both for dual-endian capable boards)?

Cheers,
Simon.