Port-dreamcast archive

Re: Random Dreamcast tomfoolery for Retrochallenge 2012

On 5 July 2012 16:23, Mouse <mouse%rodents-montreal.org@localhost> wrote:
>> The built-in serial port is available as scif0.  Adapters from the
>> custom connector with its CMOS levels to a standard 9-pin D-SUB have
>> been commercially available (look for "Coder's Cable").

Wonderful - thanks!

Someone has offered to send me a cable they no longer need, so I
should be able to have a play with it when it arrives. I'd like to get
a simplified setup with root on iso9660 and using the serial cable
with slip or ppp...

> ...and if you're not afraid of a little electronics, it's easy to build
> your own.  One MAX232 or equivalent and a few discretes is all I needed
> (the connector has both 5V and 3.3V power available).  Of course, you
> still need to connect.  I opened up the machine and soldered wires onto
> the board, running them out to a connector (I used a more common
> connector) through a small hole I cut in the case.

Somewhere there was probably a warehouse just full of plugs for the
Dreamcast serial port... all probably destroyed now.... :/

> But, as I said, that assumes you're not afraid of electronics and
> soldering and suchlike.

If I didn't have a cable inbound I probably would - thanks for the pointer.

btw - did you ever do anything NetBSD related with your Dreamcast or
was it all custom Mouse code? :)

(and as a completely irrelevant question: If I'm using google-apps for
email is there any easy way to email you direct - apart from finding a
box with a suitable reverse DNS entry and setting up an MTA or telnet
25 to your MX? :)