Re: bus-master DMA error (was: stability of Cobalt Qube 2)

Voices on the wind brought me a message from:
kenneth.westelinck%telenet.be@localhost
> Below are the results:
>
> cobalt# uname -a
> NetBSD cobalt 5.1.2 NetBSD 5.1.2 (GENERIC) #0: Thu Feb  2 13:33:26 UTC
> 2012
> builds%b7.netbsd.org@localhost:/home/builds/ab/netbsd-5-1-2-RELEASE/cobalt/201202021012Z-obj/home/builds/ab/netbsd-5-1-2-RELEASE/src/sys/arch/cobalt/compile/GENERIC
> cobalt
>
> Hmmm, seems he's indeed using the GENERIC kernel. Strange, since I can
> only find -INSTALL in /ext2/boot/ (but I guess this has nothing to do with
> it)

I would _highly_ suggest learning how to make a custom kernel.  There's
quite a number of things that can be pulled out of the kernel if you're
never going to use them.  (SCSI for example) And a smaller kernel takes up
less resources on the system.  I have a custom kernel in my Qube2 that is
running simh and has been running for quite some time.  (Though I suppose
that's a bad example because I just tried to ssh to it and it's down. ^_^
Have to really get my X10 control stuff working again...)

Anyway the custom kernel thing is not that hard to do and really can make
a difference.  Just make sure your serial console is working properly for
that inevitable time when you screw up and have a kernel that won't boot.
(Yes...it'll happen...)

--
Mike

If the universe is a giant stage production then it's Sweeney Todd and
we're all meat-pies.