Re: Gigabit PCI network card for Qube2

> > Does anyone know of a gigabit PCI network card that I can put in a Qube2?
> >
> > I have tried putting in a gigabit network card but it doesn't
> > recoqnise it.  My understanding is that the Qube2 use a proprietary
> > PCI board.

The default GENERIC has only on-board tulip driver.
You have to compile a custom kernel from sources:
 http://www.NetBSD.org/docs/guide/en/chap-fetch.html
 http://www.NetBSD.org/docs/guide/en/chap-build.html
or you can also use pre-compiled PCIDEVS kernel:
 http://mail-index.NetBSD.org/port-cobalt/2010/12/12/msg000459.html

At least Intel 8254x with wm(4) driver works, but all other
machine independent drivers (RealTek 8169 etc) should also work
on cobalt (as they also work on PPC Mac and SGI O2 etc).

> I have a TP-Link gigE in my 2700 for a time with a recompiled kernel.
> Sadly though it just didn`t have the horse power to keep it fed.

PCI bus on Cobalts is not so fast and it can't drive even 100Mb/s,
but enabling hardware checksum (on 3com 3c905 etc) support may
improve xfer speed a bit:
 http://mail-index.NetBSD.org/port-cobalt/2008/12/04/msg000271.html

---
Izumi Tsutsui