Re: Using SSD's..

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 03:53, Marcel van Dorp [Maeslant Engineering]
<marcel%maeslant-engineering.nl@localhost> wrote:
>>I used to work with these for a while. At the time they were called DOM
> (DiskOnModule) and then the SSD came out ans the term changed.
>>
>>They last about 2 years and then you will start losing bits here tand
> there. The read/write cycles may reach the limit pretty quickly if you
> have intense operations like swap or frequent read/write on >certain
> files.
>>
>>I would use it just as a boot partition with all tools and utilities on
> it. This way it may last longer.
>>
>>ET
>
> This is valuable info. I don't expect very much write actions since they
> will function as ntp server and hosting dns slave zones, I'm looking
> into a way to use ramdrives for temporal storage of the zones.
>
> What amount of storage do you normally need for a minimal install
> running NTP daemon and BIND?

This should be do-able in a gig.  I've got a shark doing this on a 1G CF card:
256M /
256M swap (w/ 64M it's helpful if anything explodes, with 256M on a
raq2 it shouldn't be needed)
450ishM /var

/ is 43% ful
/var is 72%  (mostly logs)