Re: USB and more PCI device support

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 10:20, Andy Ruhl <acruhl%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 4:31 AM, Izumi Tsutsui
> <tsutsui%ceres.dti.ne.jp@localhost> wrote:
>> I know it's a bit annoying so I also put a compiled sample kernel
>> which includes much more PCI and USB device drivers:
>> ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/cobalt/5.1/
>> - kern-GENERIC.tgz includes "/netbsd" kernel based on GENERIC
>>  but with more drivers.
>> - "PCIDEVS" is a kernel config file to build this one
>>
>> You can use it by replacing a kernel in running your system and
>> rebooting it, but don't forget to rename an original kernel for recovery.
>
> Will this eventually be rolled into the regular code stream? USB
> support makes the Cobalt a lot more useful.

I could be convinced.  One of the things that sort of broke at one
point was netbooting of large kernels and booting off the second drive
(either of which is necessary to install to CF cards) due to bloat.
At that time the bootstrap only worked on the primary HD.  I'd have to
double check that we don't make certain use cases harder, or
impossible.  (eg. NetBooting a kernel with fun stuff in it.)

-=erik.