Re: NetBSD 4.0 "opcode not supported on this processor:mips1"...

On Oct 2, 2009, at 12:00 PM 10/2/09, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:

Quite frankly though I would have preferred not to simply to keep the
system from being cluttered by unnecessary stuff.

The pkgsrc build of bind-9.6.1-P1 (bind96) on this system took about
12 hours and installed a ton of cpam stuff as well as perl5.

I'm not sure what actuall you want to do,
but anyway you can do either of

- abandon cobalt and use faster modern machines
- use 4.0.1 binaries which include bind 9.4.2-P2 in base
- upgrade to 5.0.1 which includes bind 9.5.0-P2 in base
- "./configure --disable-atomic" on scratch build as pkgsrc does

So -disable-atomic disables the cpu check then? I just got in and haven't looked it up yet.

My complaint was not that it took a long time to build because the system was slow - that I've willingly experienced before - my complaint was that the build time with pkgsrc was long because it built perl which I don't think is necessary to build bind96. Or is perl now a requirement for bind96?

 "Why do you want to climb Mt. Foo?"
 "Because it's there" "But it's too steep"
 "Then you don't need to try it"

I get some flack still from people for using almost all Cobalt systems in my home network but the darn things are almost indestructible and basically use the same amount of power as laptops.

Besides - I think they look much better than your average server. :-)

I just got one of the red Incinerator model Qube2 boxes in the mail from a friend recently and I fully intend to utilize it somewhere.

--
Mike

Azarath, Metrion, Zinthos!