Re: NetBSD Cobalt restore CD 4.99.72 on Qube 2700

On Oct 11, 2008, at 1:29 AM 10/11/08, Anthony Howe wrote:

Just want to say that the NetBSD Cobalt restore CD 4.99.72 work like a
charm first time with my old Cobalt Qube 2700.

Had some trouble trying to do a diskless install from my OpenBSD file
server (MAKEDEV/mknod differences in preparing /nfsroot), but the
restore CD was brilliant.

I had struggled for several days with the Debian installer with no luck,
only to find out they have some bug in CoLo and/or their installer
specific to 2700 that they've given up on, because of the lack of a
serial console.

When I noticed some where that NetBSD had a port for Cobalt, thought I'd give it a try. Absolutely brilliant. Hate to throw out old and cool kit
like the Cobalt. While I'm more familiar with OpenBSD, Debian, and
Ubuntu, and have tried other distros, I've never tried NetBSD. This
should be fun and I look forward to learning about it and porting some
of my software.

Once again to the folks who made this possible, thanks for the A+ work.
If you're ever in Cannes, glass(es) of wine in the offering.

Indeed!  Much thanks to those who put this all together! :-)

A side note though - be damn careful when you build a new kernel to enable usb or something on the 2700. Screw it up and you'll either be pulling the drive or re-loading the system again because there is no console.

*whistles innocently*

--
Mike Hebel <---Has to re-load his Qube 2700 again because he left something wrong in the new kernel.

MARS NEEDS CHOCOS! - Martian Manhunter