Re: Compiling kernel for Qube2700WG?

On Oct 7, 2008, at 3:11 PM 10/7/08, Andy Ruhl wrote:

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 11:42 AM, Mike Hebel <nimitz%nimitzbrood.com@localhost> wrote:
Can you just do like you would with some other O/S installs and expand all
the sets on to the disk using tar?

Yeah, but that's not the only thing you have to do. You have to do
MAKEDEV in the /dev directory and set up the network, rc.conf, and
probably some other stuff. I think this "manual" install process is
documented somewhere. If it isn't, it's basically the same thing that
I have to do when netbooting the dreamcast, so there's probably info
over there on how to set up the filesystem.

I've got the manual install printed out but thanks for the recap.

You said in another mail that you might try just putting a new kernel
on your current disk to boot the 2700 off of.

Actually it would be the previous disk I had in there with 3.0 on it but I might be willing to put it into the Qube2, do a 4.0 install on it, customize the kernel, then move it to the Qube1.

Is it just the COM entry I have to take out of the kernel config?

If the secondary bootloader works for the 2700, then that shouldn't be
a problem. The kernel size limit problem shouldn't be a problem
anymore. That was solved when the secondary bootloader was fixed to
run on these, they don't have any kernel size limit problems.

Excellent. That would save me a lot of time. Thankfully I only have one 2700 - the rest are Qube2/Raq/Raq2 which seem to netboot just fine. Well all but Dorothy - she wouldn't netboot anything but 1.6 - go figure.

I think I'm an addict...I have 6 Cobalt systems, now 4 running currently. I wish I could find the funky red one or the black Gateway boxes. For some reason I love these little things.

And since I just added a buttload of swap to them (1gig swapfile on each one) they run simple stuff like gangbusters. PHP is still a hog though...
--
Mike Hebel

MARS NEEDS CHOCOS! - Martian Manhunter