Re: Compiling kernel for Qube2700WG?

A talking watermelon whispered a message to me from: Andy Ruhl
> On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 11:21 AM, Mike Hebel <nimitz%nimitzbrood.com@localhost>
> wrote:
>> Also once the kernel is built is it possible to just insert it into a
>> fresh .iso of the current restore CD and get a proper netboot install
>> for
>> that box?
>
> I haven't done my homework so this could be a stupid question:
>
> Doesn't the restore CD support those? If not, why not?

The restore CD doesn't work for the original Qube 1 models (2700) because
they don't have a serial console among other things.  IIRC they also need
the kernel to be below a certain size.  They fail immediately after
netboot.

> Before the restore CD existed, I had pretty good luck just making a
> filesystem on a disk from another NetBSD box and booting it from that.
> I imagine the same can be done with the 2700.

That was actually my plan but I have to make a kernel that isn't going to
have a serial console in it.

Can you just do like you would with some other O/S installs and expand all
the sets on to the disk using tar?
--
Mike Hebel

                -- Dr. Who