Subject: RE: Restore CD 2.0-1 may still have issue for some install *** Feedbackplease ***
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Andreas Schaefer <AndiSHFR@gmx.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 06/18/2005 23:51:38

(Sorry for this long reply)

Concerning the scsibus0 problem i came around this issue in
a very special way.

After trying Restore CD 2.0.1 with no luck i set up a virtual
machine using vmware.

It runs NetBSD 2.0-CURRENT as of May 14 2005.

Within this vmware i did a cross compile for the port coablt
with success. It took only two and a half hours. (On a raq
doing this it takes more than 48 hours). Finally i had a cross
compiled cobalt 2.0-CURRENT kernel, base.tgz, man.tgz, ...

Never did this before and it was fairly straight and easy.

After this i copied over the restore cd into a subdir of the
vmware machine.

Setting up dhcp and nfs-server to allow a netboot of the
raq from the vmware machine and replacing the original
kernel files and packages (base.tgz, man.tgz, ...) of the
restore cd tree with the cross compiled version of May 14.

So a netbooting raq is getting the install dir of the restore
cd as it's NFS-root. After netbooting the raq every thing went
fine. No scsi problem and a CURRENT kernel and world. ;-)

There was also another issue with kernel messages
"pmap_unwire: wiring ... " related to paging that was gone
with the version -CURRENT of May 14.

If someone is interrested in the vmware machine it is 1.2 GB
in size as a compressed rar. Send me a mail and i can give a
link to it to download.
With a trial key of vmware 4.5 workstation this should be no problem.

Somewhere on the web there was a guide how to make your
own restore cd. Maybe i can make a "new" restore cd from the
tree of the vmware files that contain 2.0-CURRENT as of May 14.
Anybody interessted in?

Greetings
Andreas

--
Geschenkt: 3 Monate GMX ProMail gratis + 3 Ausgaben stern gratis
++ Jetzt anmelden & testen ++ http://www.gmx.net/de/go/promail ++