Subject: Re: Another Newbie trying to install on a Qube2700
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Dale P. Smith <dsmith@actron.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 12/23/2003 11:40:15
Henning Schmiedehausen <hps@intermeta.de> writes:

> (No, it's not simply "stick the PCI board in". The Qube is missing the
> crucial -12V power supply (as it has only a single +12V power line with
> a regulator for +5V). I did this, the board worked but nothing came out
> of the ports. I built a voltage inverter from some scrap parts and it is
> piggybacked onto the PCI board to provide -12V for the board. Looks
> Frankensteinish but works fine. :-)

I vaguely remember something about this.  I would probably be a good
thing to reference in the FAQ.

Here are some links:

This claims there is no -12 on early qube2's.
http://list.cobalt.com/pipermail/cobalt-developers/2000-November/024975.html
http://list.cobalt.com/pipermail/cobalt-developers/2000-March/022321.html

This makes it sound like there is no 3.3 volt lines.
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-cobalt/2002/05/01/0002.html

The qube2 manual,
http://www.sun.com/hardware/serverappliances/pdfs/discontinued/manual.qube2.pdf
, only says that the PCI card can be no longer than 5.5 inches.  No
mention is made about available supply voltages.

--
Dale P. Smith
dsmith at actron dot com