Port-cats archive

Re: NetBSD 4.0 RC2 on Cats

Dave Daniels wrote:
> In article <470D4A69.3040209%dokein.co.uk@localhost>,
>    Chris Gilbert <chris%dokein.co.uk@localhost> wrote:
>> Dave Daniels wrote:
>>> I have a Cats running Cyclone 1.2 as the bootloader. I am
>>> pleased to say that NetBSD 4.0 RC2 installed without any problem
>>> on it. It also boots without any problems. (I could not get
>>> NetBSD 3.1 to work: it would install but not boot, I think due
>>> to the size of the kernel being too large for Cyclone 1.2. Well,
>>> this is certainly not the case with 4.0.) Trying to run an
>>> Xserver just locks up the machine and the network interface does
>>> not work but otherwise it all looks great. I also successfully
>>> built my own kernel and so have a slightly slimmer kernel as
>>> well now.
>
>> Glad to hear things are working for you :)
>
>> Which network card do you have?  (what's the output from dmesg?)  If
>> it's a tlp, you may find that disabling tlp and enabling de will help.
>> There are some issues where the phy on some cards isn't detected.
>> (oddly something in my intr branch has fixed that problem, so it is a
>> platform specific bug)
>
> It claims to be a tlp card. The card itself is the original
> Ethernet card supplied with the Cats. dmesg says:
>
> tlp0 at pci0 dev 9 function 0: DECchip 21149A ethernet, pass 2.2
>
> I will try removing the tlp device from the configuration and
> see what happens.

It's probably one of those that de works fine with but tlp doesn't (note
if the card is in an i386 server it does work with the tlp driver)

I should really figure out what it is about the changed interrupt code
that improves things  (obviously some kind of timing issue)

>> As for the X server I have to admit to not having used X on cats for
>> some time.  I do plan to install RC2 onto one of my cats and kick off
>> pkgsrc builds for 2007Q3.
>
> All I get is a blank screen and an opportunity to press the
> reset button.

Which gfx card do you have?  The original S3 one?

Thanks,
Chris