Port-cats archive

Re: NetBSD 4.0 RC2 on Cats

In article <470D4A69.3040209%dokein.co.uk@localhost>,
   Chris Gilbert <chris%dokein.co.uk@localhost> wrote:
> Dave Daniels wrote:
> > I have a Cats running Cyclone 1.2 as the bootloader. I am
> > pleased to say that NetBSD 4.0 RC2 installed without any problem
> > on it. It also boots without any problems. (I could not get
> > NetBSD 3.1 to work: it would install but not boot, I think due
> > to the size of the kernel being too large for Cyclone 1.2. Well,
> > this is certainly not the case with 4.0.) Trying to run an
> > Xserver just locks up the machine and the network interface does
> > not work but otherwise it all looks great. I also successfully
> > built my own kernel and so have a slightly slimmer kernel as
> > well now.

> Glad to hear things are working for you :)

> Which network card do you have?  (what's the output from dmesg?)  If
> it's a tlp, you may find that disabling tlp and enabling de will help.
> There are some issues where the phy on some cards isn't detected.
> (oddly something in my intr branch has fixed that problem, so it is a
> platform specific bug)

It claims to be a tlp card. The card itself is the original
Ethernet card supplied with the Cats. dmesg says:

tlp0 at pci0 dev 9 function 0: DECchip 21149A ethernet, pass 2.2

I will try removing the tlp device from the configuration and
see what happens.

> As for the X server I have to admit to not having used X on cats for
> some time.  I do plan to install RC2 onto one of my cats and kick off
> pkgsrc builds for 2007Q3.

All I get is a blank screen and an opportunity to press the
reset button.

> Thanks,
> Chris

Dave Daniels