Port-cats archive

Re: TLP driver in generic

(some of you might just about remember this thread)

On Sat, 8 Feb 2003 18:42:20 +0000
Chris Gilbert <chris%dokein.co.uk@localhost> wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Feb 2003 03:26:58 +0900 (JST)
> Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui%ceres.dti.ne.jp@localhost> wrote:
>
> > In article
> > <200302081804.h18I4F611076%buzzard.buzzard.freeserve.co.uk@localhost>
> > rearnsha%buzzard.freeserve.co.uk@localhost wrote:
> >
> > > Odd, I just get:
> > >
> > > tlp0 at pci0 dev 9 function 0: DECchip 21140A Ethernet, pass 2.2
> > > tlp0: interrupting at irq 8
> > > tlp0: Ethernet address 00:40:05:51:3b:b2
> > > tlp0: unable to configure MII
> > > tlp0: no media found!
>
> The fun side effect there is that you can panic the kernel very easily.
>
> > Does the card work on i386 (or other machines),
> > and what the part number of the card?
>
> Probably will, mine does.  I've not had time to figure out why.

Well 2 and a bit years later I've mangaged to get the card to work with the
tulip driver.

It appears that the MII bitbang sync code doesn't always work on cats.  I've
managed to patch the mii bitbang code to do the sync slightly differently, it
actually does a clock after changing direction, and then does the 32bits of 1
for the sync.  This means that the mii code actually detects the phy on this
card as an lxtpty (which is correct and the same as it was in one of my x86).

I'm not sure exactly what the problem is.  I suspect that the phy/21140 needs a
kick before it's used.  Looking at the de card, it actually sends 32bits of
one, then 4bits of one, then 01 (start frame) then the command, so perhaps it's
a known oddity of the cards.

The IEEE spec requires that 32bits of 1 are sent to allow the phy to sync, so
I'm guessing that the phy doesn't think it's seen 32 bits for some reason.

The patch against -current is attached.  The problem is I don't have the kit to
test the patch out.  Can people try the patch on their cats boxen (or other
machines with tulip cards in)

Thanks,
Chris