Port-cats archive

Re: Cyclone 0.6 and kernel boot

mpsuzuki%hiroshima-u.ac.jp@localhost wrote:

Great Thanks, just I've upgraded to firmware 1.20 and succeeded to
load uncapsuled zImage (without catsboot - of course I can load
catsboot-capsuled kernel too) from HDD and make it boot well.
But,
        boot> load wd0a:boot/zImage

can load kernel from /dev/hdc3, and

        boot> load wd0b:boot/zImage
        boot> load wd0c:boot/zImage

cannot load.

This looks to me a displine issue.  Personally, I hate "make every
computer looks-like/behaves-like a PC" mantra of Linux champ.  At
very least the new CATS ROM feature needs to have definite rule and
functionality to choose and run one of multiple OSes installed inside
a single HD.  Or, provide the "OS specific 1st stage boot program
which resides in predefined disk block area."  It would free ROM
monitor from disklabel design varieties and file system internals.

It seems the 1.20 behaviour consistent to me.

Toru Nishimura/Engineering Lead/ALKYL Technology