Port-bebox archive

Re: BeBox memory configuration

On Sun 24 Mar 2013 at 12:55:10 +0100, Frank Wille wrote:
> Just one question concerning the memory: I know that the SIMMs have
> to be inserted in pairs, but are there any special restrictions for
> the first two SIMM slots (labeled SIMM0/1)?

My "The Be User's Guide" for DR8 (Development Release 8) which I
originally got with my BeBox doesn't mention any such restriction. It
says on page 4

Adding Memory

You can add up to 256 MB of RAM to the BeBox by inserting identical
pairs of 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64 or 128 MB 60-nanosecond or faster, 72-pin
SIMMs in memory slots 0 and 1, 2 and 3, 4 and 5, or 6 and 7. While each
pair of SIMMs must be made up of identical twins, no two sets must be
alike: for example you could insert 32 MB SIMMs in slots 0 and 1 and 2
MB SIMMs in slots 2 and 3. Add SIMMs to the slots in order -- start with
slots 0 and 1 and don't leave a gap between the slots. The BeBox can use
parity SIMMs, but it doesn't yet support parity-checking.

> My BeBox only boots with 2x8M in SIMM0/1, but stays dead (blinken-
> lights do not blink) when using 2x16M. I can install those 2x16M
> chips in SIMM2/3 though, and they are recognized and working.

Perhaps their timing is marginal, or something like that.

> Frank Wille
-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- The Doctor: No, 'eureka' is Greek for
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl    -- 'this bath is too hot.'