Re: Samba and low memory on NetBSD/atari

On 16 Feb 2011 06:53, "David Ross" <dross%pobox.com@localhost> wrote:

> I recently got up and running with Samba 3.5.6.  (Previously I had been using
> 3.0)  Unfortunately on 3.5.6, both smbd and winbindd fail to start:
>
> eval: /usr/pkg/sbin/smbd: not enough memory
> eval: /usr/pkg/sbin/winbindd: not enough memory
>
> I have 16MB of physical memory and 256MB of swap.  Anyone know an easy way to
> determine if the issue with Samba might be resolved simply by increasing
> available swap space?  I imagine this may not be the case if the allocation
> that is failing really wants a large chunk of contiguous and/or physical
> memory.  Any other tips that may help smbd/winbindd load?
>
> Next time I do an install I'll try increasing swap and perhaps building
> everything with -Os rather than -O2.

Have you run unlimit, or your shell's equivalent?

If that is not the issue a quick way to add 256m swap could be to run
dd if=/dev/zero of=/var/swap bs=1m count=256 progress=1
Then chmod it 600, add it to fstab & swapctl to add it (or reboot).

Alternatively could it be that samba need shared memory & that is failing?
If you ktrace -id samba & then kdump the generated files you should be
able to see what system call failed (close to the end :)