Samba and low memory on NetBSD/atari

I recently got up and running with Samba 3.5.6.  (Previously I had been using
3.0)  Unfortunately on 3.5.6, both smbd and winbindd fail to start:

eval: /usr/pkg/sbin/smbd: not enough memory
eval: /usr/pkg/sbin/winbindd: not enough memory

I have 16MB of physical memory and 256MB of swap.  Anyone know an easy way to
determine if the issue with Samba might be resolved simply by increasing
available swap space?  I imagine this may not be the case if the allocation
that is failing really wants a large chunk of contiguous and/or physical
memory.  Any other tips that may help smbd/winbindd load?

Next time I do an install I'll try increasing swap and perhaps building
everything with -Os rather than -O2.

David Ross
dross%pobox.com@localhost