Re: Aranym

Miro Kropacek wrote:

> I've used 'SWP' method although I have a lot of RAM, it's much easier
> to install it from gemdos hdd than floppy. My HDD is 150 GB, C: is
> gemdos (but later I gave up and tried everything, i.e. no AHDI
> partition support), D: is SWP, E: was later assigned as NBD ... Is it
> any important I overwrite whole disk during installation, i.e. also
> that 'SWP', i.e. root for installer ?

I'm not familiar with the Atari port. I just read the (probably outdated)
installation instructions while trying to install with Aranym. But from
the Amiga port I know that you cannot write a native partition layout
with disklabel, and probably it's the same here. So when you are using
AHDI paritions you have to define a partition as SWP and another one as
NBD manually. On the Amiga it would be perfectly normal when writing of
the disklabel fails. You just continue to install on the partition you
have chosen as 'NBD'.

I have never seen the Atari installer, but maybe there is an option to
escape into shell, as in others? When possible, please enter

# disklabel sd0

(or disklabel wd0 when using IDE) to show the partitions which diskabel
has recognized. When they are looking ok and match the locations of your
NBD and SWP paritions (i.e. the NBD parition shows up as sd0a) you may
try to create a filesystem with

# newfs /dev/rsd0a

and install the binary packages manually:

# mount /dev/sd0a /mnt
# cd /mnt
# tar xzfp path_to/base.tgz
# ...

Hope that helps. And sorry if I'm talking nonsense and just confuse you. ;)

I'm also interested in running NetBSD on Aranym, but loadbsd.ttp always
freezes when loading the kernel (I tried the Falcon and the TT030 kernel).
No difference if I run loadbsd from a MiNT shell or in the early startup
console.

--
Frank Wille