Re: bootloader issue

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 1:04 PM, David Brownlee <abs%netbsd.org@localhost>
wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jan 2009, David Ross wrote:
>
>> Maybe it's worth putting a note up in the news section here:
>> http://www.netbsd.org/ports/atari/
>
>        Definitely
>
>> ..and in the upcoming 4.x / 5.x release notes as well.  Some people may
>> have tried installing on Atari over the past decade and just given up before
>> coming to the mailing list.  Just pointing out that it works again may be
>> enough to get some more users.
>>
>> I think I'll do a post over here shortly:
>> http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showforum=20
>
>        Nice post :) I would think the next priority would be to try to
>        ease the installation process, both updating the install notes
>        and working out the best mechanism for install. Given the kernel
>        is too large to fit onto a floppy, NetBSD does have a bootloader
>        which can load a kernel split across multiple floppy disks, but
>        that still leaves loading the sets (a bigger issue if you don't
>        have an ethernet card).

Great! It seems that now is time to do some advertisement for NetBSD/Atari :)
It seems that also Frank has re-posted some information to atari-forum:
http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=15791

I'll post later some information about NetBSD/Atari to CT60/Falcon user
forum:
http://bbs.dhs.nu/ct60/

>        Would you say at this point the recommended way to install would
>        be to copy the kernel & sets to a CD or HD and then boot/install
>        from there?

I guess it's most straightforward way of installation now. Only glitch when
one is installing kernel & sets from Gemdos drive is that kernel filenames
exceed Gemdos 8 + 3 limitation (maybe we should think about renaming them ?).

-Tuomo