Re: gcc -m68060 option in kernel Makefiles

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 04:04:25PM +0900, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
> I'm afraid that 68030 FALCON (and also other 040 HADES and MILAN?)
> might have problems if compiler emits 060 specific instructions.

Hm, what does Amiga have? Back then, I knew what I did - which I don't
do any longer by heart, and I'm 400 km away from my 68060 book.

I seem to recall that -m68060 is fine as long as you don't do floating
point stuff (same as 68040, btw!) or MMU, and we don't do FP stuff
in kernel C code, and gcc doesn't do MMU stuff, so it wouldn't make
a difference.

The FPU stuff is explicit limited precision arithmetic - contrary to
setting the precision and then do the generic operations, which is
what you have to do with the 68881 or 68882.

Do I recall correctly?

        -is