From: <dross00%hotmail.com@localhost>
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 11:54 PM
To: <port-atari%NetBSD.org@localhost>
Subject: Re: Question on the images in /miniroot

Last night I managed to get my Riebl card working on 3.1.1! From the sysinst filesystem I just drop to a shell and set it up with ifconfig. I'm then able to connect to ftp.netbsd.org, etc. Fantastic.

On to the next challenge...

Everything seems to indicate that sysinst.fs is the way to go, and prepare.fs / miniroot.fs are legacy. So I went to kick off an install through sysinst and it was unable to partition the disk, giving me an error that /etc/disktab could not be opened. This appears to be because the / filesystem is read-only and the file does not exist, just as this guy documented last December:

http://archives.devshed.com/forums/bsd-93/install-37470-could-not-open-etc-disktab-using-sysinst-fs-2388826.html

I have a hunch this may have something to do with the fact that "mount_kernfs /kern /kern" doesn't do anything. Even if / is read-only, it should be able to mount the kernel parameter namespace under /kern, right?

Sometime in the next few days I'll jump back a few releases and see if I can get to one where the / filesystem isn't read-only and/or mount_kernfs works. Then I think I should be able to go through sysinst no problem.

David Ross
dross%pobox.com@localhost