Subject: Using large IDE drives in a Shark
To: 'port-arm32@netbsd.org' <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy Cooper <jcooper@icplanet.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/25/2000 17:33:16
A few months ago I wrote in asking for help for a friend who was trying to
install NetBSD on a Shark that I had loaned him.  He was trying to install
the OS onto an internal laptop IDE drive, but after the installation he was
never able to boot from the drive.

[ See his original message at                                  ]
[ http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-arm32/2000/03/10/0001.html ]

The consensus on this list seemed to be that the Shark firmware was unable
to read and boot the kernel because the kernel file was probably not
compiled correctly, being that he was using a snapshot installation.

I am sorry to say that this does not appear to be the case.  Just a few days
ago I helped him install 1.4.2 onto the drive.  Just like the last time, his
Shark has refused to boot from the disk.

I suspect that the real problem here is the interaction of the Shark
firmware with his drive.  Moreover, I think that the firmware has problems
if the drive's size exceeds a magic number.

Could everyone on this list who is using an IDE drive with a Shark please
write back to me and tell me what size hard drive you are using?  Please
include the drive information found in your dmesg output if possible.

Thank you,
Jeremy