Re: BeagleBone Black doesn't boot without serial console (10.0 release)

Mouse <mouse%Rodents-Montreal.ORG@localhost> wrote:
>> Forget about RS-232.
>
>> Modern embedded boards are designed to be used with USB to serial
>> adaptors.
>
> What does "serial" mean here?  All the USB-to-serial devices I've seen
> have, I _think_, been RS-232 in everything except the connector
> (they're typically DE-9 instead of DB-25).

This:

<https://thepihut.com/products/usb-to-ttl-serial-cable-debug-console-cable-for-raspberry-pi>

or this:

<https://pine64.com/product/serial-console-woodpecker-edition/>

The Pine64 one is switchable between 3.3V and 5V.

They are relatively new, FTDI was only founded in 1992.