Re: Pinebook Pro images

Benny Siegert <bsiegert%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>On Fri, Aug 26, 2022 at 1:55 PM Robert Swindells <rjs%fdy2.co.uk@localhost> wrote:
>> Nothing has changed with the display, glxgears would be running OpenGL
>> on the CPU in both cases.
>>
>> Your 9.99.92 installation might have been using an older version of the
>> Xorg server but that shouldn't make any difference to how fast it runs.
>
>My older installation had the X binaries from NetBSD-9. In that
>installation, if I boot a 9.9.99 kernel, Firefox is noticeably slower,
>to the point of being almost unusable. I wonder what changed.
>
> Was it the new DRM code that was imported?

No, there won't be any real difference between how things are getting
drawn on the screen, it will be the CPU doing it.

You could check Xorg.?.log for both to see if it is using gallium or
not, it should be compiling OpenGL commands to aarch64 machine code
on the fly.

The real speedup will come when the panfrost DRM driver has been ported
to NetBSD. I have one more source file to get to build for it but am
debugging the lima driver first, they share some code.

I was hoping to use a Quartz64 board to debug panfrost but the NetBSD
kernel for it doesn't use FDT, I don't have a Pinebook Pro.

Robert Swindells