Re: Building packages for evbarm

john%ziaspace.com@localhost (John Klos) writes:

>I've used a Pi 4 in a Flirc case with USB storage to build aarch64, but
>before the Pi 4 I've used Pi 3s extensively. A Pi 3 with some cooling
>should give good results as long as it gets plenty of power. USB in NetBSD
>was flakey for a while, but lately in current it has been much more
>consistent.

I've used an RPI3 with an iSCSI disk for building. At RPI3 CPU speeds the
disk performance was no limit. An RPI4 (or RockPi4) has a much faster CPU,
but then it also has 1Gbit Ethernet to compensate.

The trickiest part is to find out what packages support MAKE_JOBS and
at what concurrency. Some packages require a swapfile which I also
put on iSCSI. N.B. swapping on iSCSI may deadlock.

A full pbulk on a RPI3 with cooling took about 6 weeks last year.