Building packages for evbarm

Hello

I played a bit with various scenarios for building packages for evbarm-aarch64
(for a Rasbperry Pi 3)

- Building natively on an USB attached disk.
- Cross building from a fast amd64 host. I found this useful:
  https://github.com/wfarr/pkgsrc/blob/master/doc/HOWTO-use-crosscompile
- Building from a qemu aarch64 VM on a amd64 host. I ran it that way:
  qemu-system-aarch64 -M virt -cpu cortex-a53 -smp 4 -m 4g \
      -drive file=/dev/rxbd2d,if=none,format=raw,cache=none,id=q1 \
      -device virtio-blk-device,drive=q1 \
      -net nic -net tap,ifname=tap0,script=no \
      -bios QEMU_EFI.fd -nographic

Cross-building is fast but has a lot a failures, with some packages that
just give up at configure stage when they detect a cross-compiler.

qemu is even slower than native build, hence it is not an option.

I came to the conclusion that native build is the best option, but it
could be improved by using a faster aarch64 board with SATA disk
attachment. Anyone has a well supported model to suggest for that?

Is there any option I missed?

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
manu%netbsd.org@localhost