Re: RPI4 (8GB) + UEFI -> bricked?

On Fri, 20 Aug 2021 19:05:26 -0700
Jason Thorpe <thorpej%me.com@localhost> wrote:

> Hey folks.
>
> Trying to get an RPI4 8GB model I picked up a while ago running with the RPI4 UEFI firmware.
>
> Download Jared's Generic 64-bit images, wrote it to an SD card, then followed the instructions here:
>
> 	https://github.com/pftf/RPi4/blob/master/Readme.md
>
> using the v1.29 release, and also performed the EEPROM update as recommended:
>
> 	https://github.com/raspberrypi/rpi-eeprom/releases
>
> What results is the colored square and 7 blinks.  So, I tried writing a fresh image onto SD card.  Behavior was different, at least!  I guess it was the low-level loader ... VIC-20-like text informing me that start4.elf was not compatible that that I needed to update the firmware.
>
> So, anyway, I guess the device is not TOTALLY bricked, but I'm not sure how to back out of this corner.  Anybody have any ideas here?

This page describes the boot loader details:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/computers/raspberry-pi.html#raspberry-pi-4-boot-flow

First thing to try is to make a new "recovery.bin" EEPROM recovery SD
card. I would try the official "Raspberry Pi Imager" tool to make sure
the image is correct. If it still fails the SPI chip might be damaged
as there is not much else that can go wrong.

-Tobias