Re: NetBSD/AArch64 desk/laptop replacement?

I'm moderately happy with my Pinebook Pro.

But I used to buy off-lease Dells.  Search in the right area of EBay for "no hard drive".  Some people/companies who lease pull the hard drives for security reasons and you don't want a used hard drive anyway because they always crap out.  So buy a nice big new HD or SSD and put it in.  If you're going for really cheap you may have to change some other parts too but just grab the service manual PDFs from Dell.  I paid $35 for my current Dell this way, and this is the 4th one I've bought this way.  I have an HP that sold for $1 but I'd avoid them.

On Mon, Aug 17, 2020, 4:57 AM Sad Clouds <cryintothebluesky%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 11:10:31 +0000
Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012%yahoo.com@localhost> wrote:

> My current Thinkpad is dying and I was wondering if the Raspberry Pi
> 4-B 8GB would be a half-decent laptop replacement, obviously with the
> addition of a monitor and external drive.

The whole point of a laptop is portability, so you can take it with you
wherever you go and run from a battery. How would this work with RPi?

If you need a desktop, second hand HP Z workstation from Ebay is quite
decent and works pretty well. RPi is good enough for a home DNS or
media server that runs 24/7 and needs low power. For desktop use it's
not powerful or flexible enough and can't be expanded with more RAM,
graphics, disks, etc.