tor broken on 20202 / earmv7?

I have a couple of RPI3s that I have been running earmv7hf-el on for a
long time.  Until recently it was netbsd-8 and I think 2020Q1 packages,
but might have been 2019Q4.  I updated to netbsd-9, updated pkgsrc to
2020Q2, marked all packages for rebuild and did pkg_rr.

Among other packages, I have tor.  (There is a hidden service but I
don't think that matters.)

Everything is working well except that when I start tor as

  /etc/rc.d/tor start

rather than the usual 4 or so lines, I get nothing and the process is
sitting as parked, doing nothing, using no CPU time.  This goes on for
days - I literally let one sit 5 days like this.  The rest of the things
on the machine work fine.  Because the script doesn't return, the rest
of the rc.d scripts don't run, and ssh doesn't start.

A build of tor from the same pkgsrc branch, with the same 9-stable date,
but on i386 works normally.

I wonder if

  anyone else has seen similar trouble?

  anyone else has tor working on 9-stable on earmv7/RPI3/?