Re: Xfce 4.14 and Firefox Browser for armv7

Dmitrii Postolov <dpostolov%yandex.ru@localhost> writes:

> FriendlyARM NanoPi M1, Allwinner H3 SoC armv7, 1GB RAM, 128GB MicroSD.

As others said, 1GB is very little RAM.  (Or maybe it's a lot, but
bloated software requires 4x "a lot".)

> NetBSD 9.0-STABLE (GENERIC) #0: Sun May 31 2020
> pkgsrc-2020Q1

Thanks; a useful experiment.

I hope you have left MAKE_JOBS alone so that it's effectively 1.

> 72% Building CXX object lib/Passes/CMakeFiles/LLVMPasses.dir/PassBuilder.cpp.0
> g++: internal compiler error: killed (program cc1plus received signal 9)
> Error code 4
> Stop
> make[2]: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/lang/llvm/work/build
> Error code 1

Did you look in /var/log/messages?  I would set via sysctl
kern.logsigexit=1, but you already know something about gcc.

It seems likely that you  are running out of RAM.  I didn't realize this
before, but building firefox on a machine with 1GB is not something I
would expect to work.

You could try:

  configure significant amounts of swap space, such as 4G, perhaps on an
  external USB SSD.

  setting up distcc with a cross compiler running on a machine with a
  lot of memory (4G at least).  But then you will need rust and I don't
  know what's going to happen there.

You could also update to pkgsrc current, but I am not optimistic that
you trying to build everything with 1G of RAM is going to go well.

If you really want to build things, you might look into getting a
machine with more RAM that is instruction-set compatible.