Re: omxplayer on aarch64 on NetBSD 9?

Alan Corey <alan01346%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>It's an interesting question because in the Linux world if you have a
>Mali the only official low-level drivers are for Wayland because
>arm/mali isn't providing x11 ones.  Starting mpv on my Pinebook Pro
>(Mali T368 or so) shows it's using gl4es (Debian Stretch).  Gl4es
>tries to run OpenGL but pipe as much as it can through OpenGL ES if
>your hardware runs it.  mpv sucks a little CPU, it's not as good as
>omxplayer on a pi.

There are MesaLib gallium drivers for Mali, Panfrost and VC4 (RPi) that
we could include in the build for NetBSD, I build the Mali ones in my
own tree. All these need kernel drm code, the Mali part of this requires
a later version of the shared drm code than is currently in NetBSD, I
haven't tried merging in the vc4 drm code.

I don't own any model of RPi and have not looked at the video decoding
side of this, I have looked a little at video decoding for Allwinner
SoCs.

>Does NetBSD have Linux emulation like OpenBSD where it runs a Linux
>kernel?  That might work with omxplayer.

NetBSD/aarch64 doesn't have any virtualization support or Linux
emulation yet.

I have used mplayer on a Pinebook but it is currently doing everything
in software.