Re: Heads up: TI OMAP3 and AM335x switched to FDT

On Mon, 2 Dec 2019, John D. Baker wrote:

> How do I arrange for net-booting?  Watching its default attempts to
> netboot (since it couldn't figure out anything on my SD card), I see
> file names that it expects, but don't know what the file should be.
>
> I've managed to get it to load "bootarm.efi" and it seems to present the
> usual NetBSD bootloader, but when it tries to boot, I just get an
> endless stream of:
>
> [...]
> CACHE: Misaligned operation at range [9c701028, 9c7010e8]
> CACHE: Misaligned operation at range [9c701028, 9c7010e8]
> CACHE: Misaligned operation at range [9c701028, 9c7010e8]
> CACHE: Misaligned operation at range [9c701028, 9c7010e8]
> CACHE: Misaligned operation at range [9c701028, 9c7010e8]
> [...]
>
> until I press the reset button.

Just to see what would happen, I let it run as long as it wanted.
There were some breaks in the stream of the above messages, but they
went by too fast to see them.

Imagine my surprise when it eventually booted the kernel!  I don't know
where/how it got the dtb file (if it did).

It couldn't determine the boot device, however.  When I pointed it at
my SD card (ld0a), it complained about all manner of errors on the
root file system and eventually punted to single-user mode.

Actually, it was:

  sdhc0: cmd timeout error

followed by a complaint that it couldn't write to block 128 of the
file system.

Rebooting, I let it run again and it booted and this time told it
to use "cpsw0" for the root device and it completed coming up as
a diskless system just fine.

I tried running "fsck" on the filesystems on the SD card.  Most checked
out OK, but the last one complained about the "sdhc0: cmd timeout error"
and the subsequent failure to write to some block of the filesystem again.

I think it's getting "bootarm.efi" from my DHCP server (I changed the
bootfile to that for the beaglebone clients) and it reports appropriate
client and server addresses and the name of the bootfile.

When it runs, I think it clears the screen and any history of what UBoot
was doing to get there is lost (it also changes my terminal [urxvt]
colors to white-on-black).

I think I can get the pxelinux-like stuff to work, maybe.

|\ / jdbaker[snail]consolidated[flyspeck]net  OpenBSD            FreeBSD