Re: Questions about the building process (Olimex lime2)

Hello,

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 02:08:36PM +0100, Robert Swindells wrote:

> tlaronde%polynum.com@localhost wrote:

> >> Did you try the GENERIC kernel?
> >
> >It was not present in the 8-0-RELEASE branch. I guess I have to retrieve
> >current.
>
> If your system works now then why does the build process matter ?
>
> The compiler toolchain is better in 8 than in -current for arm so
> you may want to wait a bit to switch.

Since I'm evaluating the board and I have never played with the arm
port before, I must ensure first to have something matching the
hardware and to have the system, without packages, running.

With 8.0 there are too many discrepancies (hence my questions) to
sort out for the beginner I am what the source of the problem is (for
example, I used a a10-olinuxino-lime u-boot---because it was what
was in pkgsrc and I thought that with compatibility it could load
on the a20---and it didn't boot---and then the question was: is it
a hardware, a firmware or a software problem? Did I already fry
the board? Does the missing lime2 dtb cause the problem? Etc.).

With u-boot a20-olinuxino-lime2 it boots now. So better having the DTS
compiled in the kernel.

As soon as I'm satisfied and more confident about the process and in
"safe" userland stuff (NetBSD running), it will be clear that problems
are software ones and not hard or firmware ones ;-)
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/