Re: Questions about the building process (Olimex lime2)

Hello and thank you,

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 08:50:55AM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 08:36:59AM +0200, tlaronde%polynum.com@localhost wrote:
> > There is a dedicated kernel config file, added by Manuel Bouyer,
> > OLIMEXLIME2.
> >
> > This last kernel is not compiled and not present in the releasedir.
>
> Did you try the GENERIC kernel?

It was not present in the 8-0-RELEASE branch. I guess I have to retrieve
current.

> > How does the build process determine the kernels to build (obviously not
> > simply by listing the configs in the dir since the OLIMEXLIME2 is in
> > the dir and is not included)?
>
> There is a table in src/etc/etc.evbarm/Makefile.inc.
>
> > How does the build process determine what has to go in the image,
> > specifically the compiled dtb files?---since I found only one mention of
> > the DTS and it was in the SUNXI kernel config.
>
> I see these in sys/arch/evbarm/conf/GENERIC:
>
> GENERIC:        sun7i-a20-olimex-som-evb-emmc.dts
> GENERIC:        sun7i-a20-olimex-som-evb.dts
> GENERIC:        sun7i-a20-olimex-som204-evb-emmc.dts
> GENERIC:        sun7i-a20-olimex-som204-evb.dts
>

> > Where do the files piloting u-boot and present in the image are
> > generated? And what is the sequence of u-boot script files actually
> > used?---because there seems to be conditionals about some dtb files and
> > it seems to me that the first found will be used and it may not
> > correspond to the device tree of the board (but it's a problem if and
> > only if this script file is actually used).
>
> There is no u-boot in "the" image ;-)
> This is actually an issue but rather hard to solve.
> Most board specific u-boot versions can be build from pkgsrc/sysutils/u-boot-*

Yes ;-) u-boot is compiled in pkgsrc and added after. But I mean the
files present in the FAT partition of the image?

Is u-boot compiled to directly load NetBSD or chainload a NetBSD second
stage bootloader dedicated to load the NetBSD kernel and does not use
any of the scripts in the FAT partition? Or are these scripts used to
decide what and where to load?

And, secondly, are the dtb files in the FAT partition used by u-boot and
NetBSD, or only by u-boot (NetBSD taking them somewhere else) or even
not used by u-boot (here as a Linux artefact)?

Thank you for all the previous information!

                     http://www.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/