Re: sysupgrade didn't update kernel on Pi-2

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 01:47:48AM -0700, Hal Murray wrote:

> logix%foobar.franken.de@localhost said:
> > You'll also need to update things in /boot - at the very least that means
> > unpacking an updated kernel ("kernel7.img", grab it from kern-RPI2.tgz), but
> > possibly also updating your firmware files (bootcode.bin, start.elf and *.dtb
> > files).  I suppose the easiest way to get all the latter is by copying them
> > off an armv7.img or from the smaller rpi_inst.img.gz.
>
> Thanks.  (and apologies for not replying sooner)
>
> A new kernel seems happy.  I didn't update the rest of /boot/
>
> Is a PR appropriate?  Should susupgrade update /boot/ on ARM systems?

Good question - your situation was unfortunate, but I'm not sure if
sysupgrade should touch /boot.  One argument against this is that the
boot process on the various ARM boards differs quite a lot, and this
would mean making sysupgrade aware of every single one, including
possibly installing updated versions of u-boot.

Personally, I don't think there should be much more than perhaps an
additional paragraph in the manpage and/or some informational output
by sysupgrade if run on a platform where this is an issue (like
evbarm).

  Harold