Re: Java

On Sat, Jun 15, 2019 at 12:50:46AM +0100, Robert Swindells wrote:

> I have been working on merging the code from the OpenJDK
> jdk8u-dev-aarch64 repository into pkgsrc lang/openjdk8 as extra patches.
>
> It builds now on NetBSD/aarch64 up to the end of the first pass but
> crashes immediately when the pkg tries to use the new JVM to build
> itself.
>
> I could probably use some help debugging it if anyone is interested.

Hi rjs,

your attempt at getting collaboration could use some improvement.
the number one thing in soliciting help is making it as easy for others
to see the problem quickly.

please consider the following alternative:
create a package in pkgsrc-wip called openjdk8-aarch64.
Initial commit is the status as-is in pkgsrc.
Second commit is all your work.
Add a TODO in the package about current status.
e.g.
	Runnning "make check" aborts at <thing>

If you solve any issue, commit early, commit often.

pkgsrc-wip basically exists for this, but in the absence of pkgsrc-wip,
github repositories are another way to share work so it's easily
accessible.

For arbitrary problems, I've used single-file shell scripts in the past,
like http://coypu.sdf.org/call_once

This should be good enough for most issues, as it can fetch code, run
GDB in batch mode, etc.

just my 2c from viewing many bugs, these were the most tempting ones.

Good luck!