Re: Deciphering GPIO on Raspberry Pi B+

> On Apr 15, 2018, at 1:34 AM, Hal Murray <hmurray%megapathdsl.net@localhost> wrote:
>
> Are you trying to solve a one-off problem so you can go back to working on
> your problem or the general problem so the next guy doesn't have to work so
> hard?

I’d prefer the latter, of course. :-)

> I think the right answer to the general problem is that the pre-boot software
> that sets up the IO devices should provide a bit-mask of bits that are
> available for use as GPIO with the control block for that GPIO device.  I
> don't know if it does that yet.

I would assume this is available somewhere in the FDT.

I’d be happy with just a way to query this using the GPIO ioctl API.  It’s kind of annoying that one can’t even query it for any meaningful info at kern.securelevel > 0.

> It might be possible to write some code to try them all and see which ones
> work.  The idea is to write 0s and 1s and see if they read back correctly.
> The builtin pullups may work too well.  I don't know if there is a way to
> turn them off and back on.

I already discovered that e.g. GPIO6 doesn’t seem to work, even though it’s brought out to the header and has a non-interesting set of alternate functions.  I settled on GPIO23, GPIO24, and GPIO25 for now (to drive a chain of 74HC595s).

> mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost said:
>> -> https://elinux.org/RPi_BCM2835_GPIOs
>
> That has a pointer to the hardware documentation.
>  http://www.raspberrypi.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/BCM2835-ARM-Peripheral
> s.pdf
>
> ---------
>
> I have an Adafruit GPS board handy.  It's got a prototyping area, and labels
> next to a bunch of holes next to the connector.  Some of the labels are
> things like SDA, SCL, TXD, and RXD.  Some are things like #4, #17, #18, #27,
> #22, #23, #24, #25 #5, #6, #12, #13, #16, #19, #20, and #21. I assume those
> are GPIO numbers, but I can't make a match with that list and the URL above.

Which Adafuit GPS board, specifically?  (I think they make a couple of different ones…)

-- thorpej