Re: NetBSD on BeagleBone Black

On Mon, Feb 05, 2018 at 07:17:49PM +0000, Benny Siegert wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 5:39 PM Jonathan A. Kollasch <jakllsch%kollasch.net@localhost>
> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Feb 05, 2018 at 04:34:06PM +0000, Benny Siegert wrote:
> > > Fundamental question: is the HDMI out even supported? Or do I need to
> get a
> > > serial adapter? How do I get this thing to boot?
>
> > HDMI-out is not supported on BeagleBone Black.  The LCD->HDMI bridge
> > does not have publicly-available documentation.  You'll need to hook
> > up the serial port, or hope everything just works for a blind boot.
>
> Oh, okay :( It does work under Linux, I assume with a binary blob. Any tips
> for what serial adapter to buy, given that I don't actually have a serial
> port?

Actually they have a source-form driver, but last I looked it was
difficult to understand.  Additionally, to really support that well
we'll need to finish FDTizing AM335x, so that we can support both
LCDs and HDMI with the same kernel.

I'd recommend a CP2102 or CP2104-based USB to TTL serial adapter, which
are supported by uslsa(4).  There are also options supported by
uchcom(4), uplcom(4), uftdi(4), and perhaps other USB/UART bridge
drivers.  With some of these, uchcom(4) parts in particular, you may
want to check that they do 3.3-volt signaling, so as to operate
the SoC's UART lines within spec.

	Jonathan Kollasch