Re: USB disks on RPI3?

I'm doing it in Linux with no problem, you could try a different SD to
check your hardware.  The last line in your output I don't know about.
I have a StarTech housing/adapter with a WD 270 GB laptop drive I
stuck in it.

A few things I had to do:

Change your /etc/fstab so it refers to the partitions in their proper
place, like for Linux /dev/sda1 is boot instead of /dev/mmcblk0p1
(the one on the hard drive, not the one on the SD).  I had copied a
working SD to the hard drive with piclone.
https://github.com/raspberrypi-ui/piclone

In /boot/cmdline.txt (if netbsd uses one) replace root=/dev/mmcblk0p2
with root=/dev/sda2

The Pi has a one-time switch (boot with this once and you can comment
it back out) to enable USB boot, put this in your /boot/config.txt:
program_usb_boot_mode=1

Check with vcgencmd otp_dump | grep 17: should see
17:3020000a (tests that usb_mode programmed correctly)

It comes up, there's a delay of a couple seconds, then the drive light
for the hard drive starts blinking, then the Raspberry Pi splash
screen followed by boot-up chatter.  I've been running it like this
for a few (6?) months.

--
No, I won't  call it "climate change", do you have a "reality problem"? - AB1JX