USB disks on RPI3?

I have a RPI3 running netbsd-8, built with -m earmv6hf-el (so userland
would work on a RPI1 also), and it is otherwise ok.  I have a rosewill
USB case which has a a 750G disk, and I've been using it for a long time
with no issues.  I plugged it into the RPI3, and got:

umass0: at uhub1 port 2 (addr 4) disconnected
umass0 at uhub1 port 4 configuration 1 interface 0
umass0: JMicron (0x152d) JM20336 SATA, USB Combo (0x2336), rev 2.00/1.00, addr 4
umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
umass0: failed to create xfers

and am wondering if my disk is odd, or if my PI is troubled, or if there
are usually issues, or something else.