Re: Illegal instruction errors on RPI3 with NetBSD-8

Hi Brian,

On Thu, Aug 03, 2017 at 04:29:09PM -0700, Brian Buhrow wrote:
> 	Hello Harold.  Thanks for pointing  me in the right direction.    I
> now hav a working RPI3 with NetBSD-8.0_BETA, but I have some additional
> questions.
>
> If I build the source tree using:
>

> ./build.sh -N 2 -D /var/tmp/netbsd-rpi -O /usr/local/netbsd/obj-rpi -m evbarm -a earmv7hf -j 4 -U release
>
> I get a working bild of userland sets, but I don't get  the rpi2.img file
> in the img directory of the binary tree of the releasedir structure.

${OBDIR}/releasedir/evbarm/binary/gzimg should contain a file
armv7.img.gz, I believe you should be able to gunzip | dd that onto an
SD card and have a working installation, /boot file system and
everything.  It is my understanding that upon first boot this will
grow the file system to the full size of the SD card.

> If I build using:
>

> ./build.sh -N 2 -D /var/tmp/netbsd-rpi -O /usr/local/netbsd/obj-rpi -m evbarm -a earmv6hf -j 4 -U release
>
> I get the rpi2.img file, with a good kernel on it, but the userland
> binaries give me the illegal instruction errors.

That should give you two files, rpi.img.gz and rpi_inst.img.gz in
${OBJDIR}/releasedir/evbarm/binary/gzimg, rpi_inst.img.gz is a gzip'd
sshramfs installer image (boots into sysinst from where you then can
do an installation from network onto the SD card) and rpi.img.gz is a
gzip'd installation that you can use directly.

So just to make sure, do you mean rpi.img(.gz) or do you *actually*
have a file rpi2.img(.gz)?

> Is there a way to get the rpi2.img file with the earmv7hf builds?

I think armv7.img is to the Raspberry Pi 2/3 what rpi.img is to the
Raspberry Pi 0/1.  At least mostly - the FAT boot partition on
armv7.img *additionally* contains the files required to boot on other
evbarm boards like the BeagleBoard.  So armv7.img probably is the
image you are looking for.

(Note that I haven't used either of these images myself, my
installations were done with the sshramfs image.  I suppose it's
mainly a matter of personal preference - for me it's probably mostly
that I tend to avoid growing existing file systems and prefer creating
them in the final size from start, at least if possible.)

  Harold