Re: mplayer binary package?

Hello Jean-Baka!

Jean-Baka Domelevo Entfellner writes:
> [...]
> Actually I'm using it to play online audio stream on my RaspPi, and I
> was rather happy with mplayer's capacity to sustain temporary network
> slowdown and catch up with the stream later on when things are better,
> without me having to restart the process. mpg123 is not as nice, in my
> experience. Thanks for the suggestions, I'm currently trying omxplayer
> and will try mpv soon. Any experience with the commandline options
> that would be particularly suited to playing online (audio only)
> stream?
> [...]
I happily use multimedia/mpv and I find it particularly handy because it
also support all the sites supported by net/youtube-dl (and I daily
invoke it from web browser with just a keybind).

You should not have any problem regarding playing (online) audio
streams too.

The options is similar with mplayer but - sometimes - with a
different syntax. Some options that can be useful is --cache-default
(probably a bit big by default) and other --cache*. By default when
the cache runs low it will automatically pause until enough data is
available.

Coming back to mplayer, IIRC I've investigated the license issues 2-3
years ago and maybe talked with Thomas Klausner via private emails but
I do not remember the details and neither if we've figured out that (I'd
grep(1) my mailboxes because I'm not completely sure of that).
In any cases I'll try to investigate it again ASAP and try to make it
clearer if possible.
I completely agree with Greg that turning off all non-free options is
much better than having a RESTRICTED package.

If you have any problem with multimedia/mpv please let me know!
HTH!
Ciao,
L.