Re: Will Firefox run on the PI and how stable is it?

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 14:23:37 +0100
Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-netbsd%yahoo.com@localhost> wrote:

Surf web browser and others like Vimb2 work really well on systems with low memory resources.

http://surf.suckless.org/

Surf is not in Pkgsrc yet. You can find it in the WIP.

Pkgsrc does have all the dependencies needed to build and run Surf. If you browse the surf source code you can even select the terminal emulator used for downloading files via wget. Surf is easy to build.

Surf, and others like it, do take some getting used to. But they provide a good modern browsing experience. I have recently used Surf on a PII Sony Vaio with less then 256mb of ram. It could browse Amazon or Ebay fine.

--
manlyphall <manlyphall%manlymail.net@localhost>

ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the NSA's hands!
15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!
Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!